aic7xxx under 2.2.20 and 2.4.xx

newbie her so please be kind :-).

I'm working on a gigabyte SIS648-based MB/P4 CPU with
2 IDE hard drives and 2 IDE CD (one read/one write)
and an adaptec aha2940uw.  Under 2.2.20 (and windoze)
the machine boots just fine but under all other 2.4
kernels I've tried I run into the 20-minute boot where
the scsi card is probed/reset.  I know the 'real
solution' is to reflash the bios on the scsi card but
i seem to have one that is not updatable (possible
according to adaptec site) so that is not a
possibility.

The machine boots fine under 2.2.20 using
aic7xxx=no_reset boot parameter but that doesn't work
under 2.4 -- I think I remember reading that the
driver is loaded as module under 2.4 instead of being
compiled into the kernel like previous versions so
boot parameters don't work.  Neither no_reset nor
no_probe option works under 2.4 so boot process is
15-20 minutes long (but then works ok).

Question is:  Does anyone know of a way to get the
card to 'boot right' under 2.4?

Thanks for the help.
Gary