Re: best way to set new console fonts?

On Thu, 22 May 2003 18:48:18 -0500
Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 08:18:31PM +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > I'm trying to change my console fonts so they are a little smaller
> > and more usable. But I'm running into some problems here. I read
> > about SVGATextMode and I decided to try it out and it works with
> > some modes, but the refresh rates same to be a bit low and I have no
> > idea what I should pick for the "clocks" part, cause as far as I can
> > find, there is no way of getting the Clocks timings for my nvidia
> > geforce4 (ti 4600).
> >
> > I'm kinda looking for somebody who can give me a working timings
> > list or maybe some other way to set other console fonts (other than
> > the standard 80x25).
>
> You could try playing with "setfont", which is part of kbd. It lets
> you set custom console fonts, and I think that some of them are
> smaller than the standard 80x25 VGA font.

The problem is that SVGATextMode gives you the option to run higher
resolution fonts (which off course look a lot better). But as it seems
there is no specification for this card, so I can't really find out the
clocks I need I guess. Anyway just for completeness, for systems running
console-tools (I think that one is standard in woody) the program is
consolechars.

> You could also try booting with "vga=ask" and running "scan" at the
> prompt to see what alternate display modes the kernel thinks you can
> use. If you find one you like you can set the mode number in your
> lilo.conf (or whatever).

I tried vga=ext, but as soon as init boots the font switches back (it
wasn't a very good-looking font anyway)

> Consider a framebuffer console a last resort on i386 machines. It
> works, but things like scrolling tend to be slower than a normal text
> mode like you'd be using with one of the above methods - especially if
> you find that you have to use an unaccelerated fbcon driver.

I don't really like the idea of framebuffer. So I won't try it.

thx for the replies
Wim