Re: fake smtp setup?

On Thu, 22 May 2003 10:02:46 -0500
Ray <ray.list@powerweb.net> wrote:

> is there a way to setup a fake smtp server so that any mail sent to it is
> accepted and dropped?
> basicly i'm looking to setup fake open relays that will just eat the junk
> and not send it on.  possibly even logging the addresses its getting mail
> from?

That strikes me as a not-very-good idea.

Some blacklists work by looking for open relays and adding them to the
blacklist.

If your fake smtp server looks like an open relay and quacks like an open
relay, it will get blacklisted like an open relay.

This may have consequences for either you or your IP-neighbors.

Kevin