Re: A Question

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 06:52, 潘 震皓 wrote:
> With lots of trying, I've linked to the Internet by PPPoE on linux, but it
> didn't work.
> If I type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", it would give the right result.
> But if I use the name of the website instead, for example "ping
> www.debian.org", it couldn't find the website. I checked the DNS server,
> the IP address is right. I'm mixed up.
> How can I do it?
> Thanks.

Have you pinged the DNS server IP address? Have you run the connecting
with debug cranked up so that you are able to see all of the connection
chatter? I had two stretches of troubles connecting, the first when I
first went online with DSL (turns out that my original password is all
lowercase, all passwords are now uppercase) and later when a change at
the ISP made one not well documented option required. Having the
debugging info helps considerably to know what is and what isn't
connecting.

Are /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts looking okay? Are you running your
own DNS server?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org