help with kernel 2.5.69

I'm trying to compile kernel 2.5.69 from the
kernel-source-2.5.69 package and using the
kernel-package system to do it. It compiles, but when
I try to install the kernel and it runs depmod, I get
several "Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.5.69/kernel..." messages and these two
messages:

cpio: /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory
cpio: /lib/modules/modprobe.conf: No such file or
directory

If I ignore this and try to boot from the new kernel
anyway, lilo says it is booting the kernel image, but
then nothing else happens.  No messages from the
kernel.

I am using gcc-2.95 (also tried 3.2) and I compile it
with the --initrd option since this seems to be
recommended for debian kernel source packages.  I also
have the proper initrd option in my lilo.conf. My
system is up to date with the testing distribution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.