Re: Linux vs Windows

On Mon, 19 May 2003 21:55, Frank Gevaerts wrote:

> There is an xfree86-common-v3 package for the older xserver
> It does work. I am running a 3.3.6 xserver on a sid machine with an s3
> card that behaves strangely with 4.x
>
> Frank

My small amount of experience with S3 cards leads me to the following:

In Woody (XFree86 4.1.0.1) the S3Virge driver is mostly broken but not
always. So is the vesa driver when used on S3?? cards.

Occasionally the S3 driver works on XFree86 4.2??? but not always.
Substituting the vesa driver in place of S3 works, not wonderfull but it does
work.

Hope this is usefull for someone.

Bob Parker