Re: Open Sound System Driver error

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/201/1999/5/50/1707139/

> > Then I did an apt-get on alsa-base - however,
> during
> > boot time alsa complains it can't find the module
> snd.
> > I can't find the module in the modconf either -
> anyway
> > that seems to be a very minimal set of modules !
> (I
> > installed using the first Debian cd)
> >
> > Can I install the needed module or do I have to
> change
> > configurations ?
>
> you can install the alsa modules very easily if you
> are running Debian
> kernel. Assuming this is the case do:
>
> apt-cache search alsa-modules
>
> Then apt-get install the one that corresponds to
> your kernel (find out
> with "uname -r")
>
> Or save on keystrokes with
>
> apt-get isntall alsa-modules-`uname -r`
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick.
>
> --
> Debian testing/unstable
> Linux twofish 2.4.20-looxt93c7 #1 Thu May 15
> 18:07:35 JST 2003
> i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Hello,

Thank you for your reply Nick!
Unfortunately, the laptop currently has an
2.2.20-idepci version kernel (as the uname -r told me
:-) )

Does this mean I will have to upgrade (as Tim said in
another mail, the alsa-modules only contain
alsa-modules-2.4.16-* and alsa-modules-2.4.20-* )
I currently only did an installation using the first
Debian cd, and an add-cdrom on the second one (the
others still have to be burned) but no kernel image is
in there so far.

Thanks,

Joris