Re: woody login question - newbie

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
just set up woody on an old p166and it is running well..however a couple
of things i need to know.. i elected to use the gui login so i could
choose my desktop [kde, gnome etc etc] my questions are:

[1] is it possible to switch to console login using keystrokes and if so
what are they??
Yes. Ctrl-Alt-Fn, where Fn is F1, F2, etc. Alt-F7 should get you back to the graphical login (in most cases).

[2] is it possible to change things so i can login as root or is that not
good??
Yes you can; not it's not good. Depending on which GUI login manager you're using, you edit that manager's configuration files. I think Gnome even has a Control Panel thingie within X that will allow you to make that change. KDE might also; I'm not sure. If you let the list know which session manager you're using (xdm, wdm, gdm, kdm), someone can probably provide more specific instructions.

i dont want to change it so that it goes to console login evertime just
when i need to login as root and do console stuff...

i have done quite a bit of searching and failed to come up with any
solutions thanks in advance for any tips