Re: Open Sound System Driver error

Hello,

I found htis page where somebody says alsa can be
used:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/201/1999/5/50/1707139/

Then I did an apt-get on alsa-base - however, during
boot time alsa complains it can't find the module snd.
I can't find the module in the modconf either - anyway
that seems to be a very minimal set of modules ! (I
installed using the first Debian cd)

Can I install the needed module or do I have to change
configurations ?

Thanks for your help,

Joris

http://diglander.libero.it/zeromega/linux_compaq.html
> It says its the ESS 1869 Also it has a LUCENT
> winmodem (drivers
> avaialble)
> -K
> On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 17:54, Joris Huizer wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I'm trying to get Debian Woody working on an i586
> > laptop of my brother Sebastian - I now have the
> basic
> > system completely installed (it's got the X
> server, as
> > my brother is used to Gnome, and he doesn't know
> the
> > linux commands (yet)
> >
> > Anyway - I've got this problem : I've got a small
> .ogg
> > file to test sound - but the sound driver can't be
> > found I think.
> >
> > Now, normally this wouldn't be too hard - but the
> big
> > problem is - I don't really have info on the
> hardware
> > image of this laptop !! Sebastian bought the
> laptop
> > second hand, and - unfortunately - doesn't have
> any
> > usefull hardware info.
> >
> > The laptop is an Compaq Presario 1245 - maybe
> somebody
> > knows how to get usefull info? I tried the compaq
> site
> > but it wasn't really helpfull - and the only thing
> the
> > helpdesk says is "look at the site, here's a
> useless
> > link.."
> >
> > I hope somebody can help on this !
> >
> > Joris