Re: Newbie: Kernel Panic

On Sunday 18 May 2003 03:14 pm, Brian Gonzales wrote:
> Well, I've gone and done it! :-)
>

> I had my Debian Woody 3.0 system working just fine and just wanted to
> upgrade my Kernel. I did it once before and the process went swimingly. I
> then tried updating last night and hosed the boot process. I'm running the
> WinXP portion of my system, so I know *something's* running properly.
>

> When I boot, I see the Lilo screen giving an option of WinXP and that's it.
> When I updated before, I saw 3 choices: WinXP, Debian (old kernel) and
> Debian (new kernel). Before I upgraded the kernel, I saved lilo.conf in a
> back up file (lilo.conf.05172003), so I feel if I can access a command
> line, I can restore the old lilo.conf.
>

> Here's where my boot-up hangs:
>
> Kernel Panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

It's this sort of thing that has started moving me to grub instead of lilo.

You'll need to boot off some other medium, such as a boot floppy, a Debian
installation CD, a Knoppix CD, a PXE boot server, etc. At the boot: prompt,
you'll need to enter something like:
	linux single root=/dev/hda2
assuming that / is on hda2 and is ext2.

--