Re: Newbie: Kernel Panic

On Sunday 18 May 2003 16:14, Brian Gonzales wrote:
> Here's where my boot-up hangs:
>
> Kernel Panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

I got this one too this week end (see make-kpkg thread on this list).  There
are a number of reasons why this can happen.  Google on the _exact_ panic
phrase (leaving out "03:01") to see the variety.

If you  have a rescue boot disk, this is the time to use it.  Or if you have
disc0 for Debian 3.0r1, boot from it and hit F3 and read about the rescue
option (rescue root=/dev/hda1 taking a clue from the 03:01 above).  When you
get back in (keeping fingers crossed that you will), bring back your old
/etc/lilo.conf and run
$ lilo
and reboot.

I got this error because I was learning about drivers being compiled into the
kernel versus being modules.  If the IDE drivers are modules and needed
during boot up, then if they are not available, then you get a panic like the
one you descibe.  Possible remedies for handling your IDE driver management
issues can be found in the make-kpkg thread in this list (thank you Kevin).

Recommended reading: http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

HTH
--
Mike M.