Re: deselct - managing multiple releases

Colin Bell <cpbell@uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> I've been trying to get this to work (off and on) for the last
> little while.  I'm starting to think it's not possible.

> (1) I want to maintain a variety of sources in my
> /etc/apt/sources.list file that are pulling from different releases
> (stable/testing/unstable).

dselect isn't really aware of this newfangled "APT" thing.  :-)  I
haven't actually used dselect in a while; I would readily believe that
it doesn't understand that you might have multiple package sources
with different concepts of "newer" than just the version number.  You
might try using aptitude for this purpose; it has a somewhat similar
overall view of the world as dselect, but its user interface is
generally held to be better, and it's more closely tied to APT.

> Okay.  I know that this system will only last a short period of time
> before I want a package from "testing" or "unstable" that has
> dependancies which conflict with "stable" packages.  When this happens,
> I want all required "stable" packages to be updated to their "sarge" or
> "sid" counterparts.

Also note that sarge (testing) is closer to sid (unstable) than woody
(stable); its major drawback is that there aren't active security
updates for it.  If you're willing to keep up on this and take updates
from sid as needed, you may be better off upgrading to testing just to
have fewer versions of packages around, particularly if you're
resigned to doing this eventually anyways.

	-- Abra Mitchell