Newbie Debian User needs help!!!

Hi Everyone,

I started using Debian only slightly over a month ago and the
experience for me so far has been quite a serious learning experience
(especially trying to install KDE 3.1.1)...

Anyway, I did managed to get Debian Woody (bf24 installation option)
up and running thanks to this great tutorial I read on the net and
following the recommendations in the tutorial I partitioned by hard
drive in this manner

1st partition /boot 100 meg ext2
2nd partition  /     20,000 meg reiser FS
3rd partition Linux Swap

After managing to get KDE 3.1.1 up and running with a few other
applications one of which needed the kernel headers, I decided to
shutdown and install a new sound card... when I restarted the machine,
the following error message greeted me:

VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02

I then booted off the first installation disc and dropped to shell to
have a look at whether the data is still intact on the hard drives...
everything was in order but I was surprise to find out that during my
attempts to install the kernel headers, I may have accidentally
downgraded by system to a 2.4.16-386 kernel which I suspect doesn't
have reiserfs support built into the kernel which results in the above
error message...

my problem now is how do I reconfigure the system to boot off the
original 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel files (which are still on disc)?

Thanks a lot!

--
Best regards,
 Derek                          mailto:sdchew@ieee.org