Re: Centralized mail repository

Nicos Gollan <gtdev@spearhead.de> wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to have my mail on a central server, possibly an
> IMAP server so that I can access it from multiple machines without
> having to manually shuffle the data between them. I had a short look
> at cyrus21, but I didn't find something I'm looking for.
>
> What I need is some kind of "aggregating proxy" that (on demand, e.g.
> when I access my mailbox on the IMAP server) fetches mails from
> several accounts, filters them and makes them accessible from any
> remote machine. Filtering should include putting the ma88ils in
> different subdirectories on the server so that I don't have to search
> my private mails between the overhead of this maillist ;-)
>
> Is there anything in debian that allows me to do this?

There are lots of choices to do this, though they're not trivial to
setup. You'll want an MTA (Sendmail, Exim, or Postfix) to receive mail
from your accounts, an IMAP server (Courier, Cyrus, or UW) to service
the remote machines, fetchmail to get the mail from your ISP's mailbox
to your MTA, and probably procmail to sort the messages into folders,
though some mail clients can perform that as well.  I have a
Sendmail/Courier setup that works fine, but Postfix or Exim are
generally regarded as easier MTA's to deal with.  Courier is a good,
simple IMAP server - don't bother with Cyrus unless you need to.

--Todd