Re: Big problems w/ writing any type of cdrom

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:55:48AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) [030514 21:43]:
> > > >

> > > I'm not sure, but I think it was extremely low (only a
> > > few %)
> >
> > Not good...
>
> Really?  Is it bad?  My impression was that as long as it never hits
> zero, you're fine.  My understanding was that if the buffer were empty,
> on a non-burnproof drive, the drive keeps burning garbage from the empty
> buffer and you get a coaster.  On a burn-proof drive, the burn pauses
> until the buffer gets some more data.  On any drive, so long as the fifo
> has any data, the drive can keep on burning it.  As long as you see
> "fifo was 0 times empty", you should be all right.  Is my understanding
> incorrect?

No, you are correct. But in the context of the OP's posts, it
indicates that his machine seems to be on the limit of its
performance; it appears that he hasn't been noting this figure much,
and while it probably didn't drop to zero on this particular run, it
may well have done on others.

Re burn-proof drives, I think some are not necessarily as burn-proof
as all that; I regard it as bad practice to rely on burn-proof-ness
for avoiding coasters. But maybe that's just a personal whim.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons