Re: Running gnome2/unstable in testing

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 13:58, René Seindal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running testing with gnome 1.4, but would like to try out gnome2.
>
> Has anybody installed gnome2 from unstable in testing?
> Does it work?
> Will it nuke my preferences?
> Anything particular to look out for?
>
> Can I install it on my wife's computer without making her hysterical? :-)
> She is used to gnome1.4.
>
> I do have the occasional package from unstable installed via pinning.
>
> Here's the output from "apt-get -s -t unstable install gnome-core",
> which seems to indicate that with a few exceptions only gnome related
> packages need to be upgraded/installed.

[***SNIP!!!***]

I've been running Gnome 2.2 as found in Sid on my essentially Testing
platform and it seems to be fine now - reasonably solid except for a
recent leak that I suspect is in Gnome Panel, but I haven't gotten that
pegged down enough to file a useful bug report. Gnome 2.2 does not
support certain applets, and doesn't have as much configuration, but
what configuration there is ports over well. It is more "theme" oriented
in some configurations - window manager themes, icon themes, etc. Some
less commonly used functionality of Nautilus has been excised, such as
find and the news listings, but a working gtkhtml module for nautilus
helps offer support for limited web browsing with it.

I did notice that in what is getting remove, mplayer is listed. Once you
get Gnome 2.2 installed, you should get the source and build and install
mplayer against the new code, and set it up as the software for the
video files (the process for that hasn't changed, although the Gnome
Control Centre has largely disappeared in favour of access from the
menu) which will leave you with a nice ability to deal with most data
types cleanly. GStreamer is a great concept, but it is not yet perfectly
fully totally reliable.

> --
> René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)			http://sights.seindal.dk/
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting