.deb packages query.

I run woody and love its stability, I don't want to goto testing or unstable. Sometimes I want to use software that is more up to date than woody, an example being a more recient version of wine.

There are .deb packages avalible but I never use them because I am concerned that apt-get will pull in updated libs, etc, etc and before I know it I will be running half testing !

Is there a way of finding out if a .deb is safe to use without pulling in loads of updates ?

Dave