Re: Acroread

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 07:57, Mario wrote:
> W liście z czw, 15-05-2003, godz. 13:10, Paul Johnson pisze:
> >
> > On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:15:10PM +0200, Mario wrote:
> > > Someone know what's wrong with acroread, why it's lost from official
> > > repository?
> >
> > As has been announced on the RC bug announcements for the last 60+
> > weeks, it's built against zlib which apparently violates policy.
> > Since Adobe didn't fix it upstream, Acroread gets the boot.  This is a
> > good thing, acroread sucked, was non-free, and Adobe ignored it's
> > problems.  Essentially, it got booted for exactly the same reasons
> > people don't choose proprietary software.
> >
> > xpdf, kghostview, and many others can read PDF documents as well or
> > (usually) way better than acroread.  Use those instead, you'll wonder
> > why you lamented acroread's disappearance.
>
> I used other pdf browser when i didn't know acroread, so i lament
> because i was very content when i first time install acroread, it has
> got best gui for me.
> So best way for me now, is going to download sources from adobe and make
> my own packages.
> thanks a lot for info bout reason of acroread disappear.

Download sources from Adobe?????

You could always download the Acroread 5 binary from the Adobe site.
(As a plugin, though, it sucks with Mozilla 1.3.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |