Boot floppies with aic79xx support

I need to do an install on an athlon system with an adaptec 7902 SCSI
card.  I (perhaps foolishly) thought it would be a relatively simple
matter to build a kernel patched to support that card, and use it to
install debian.  But I'm running into more problems than I expected.

Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?  I have the kernel
compiled, and it boots the system fine (recognizes the HD, network,
etc).  But how do I get the install (floppy, network, cdrom, whatever,
I don't care) to run using this kernel?

Originally I tried compiling it as a module for 2.4.18 (to work with
the bf-2.4 boot floppies), but I had trouble getting the source off
the adaptec site to work, and the more recent driver doesn't seem to
work at all with 2.4.18.

Any advice, pointers to docs, or whatever, are much appreciated.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>