Re: upgrading glibc on Debian ?

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 19:30, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 05:14:24PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 15:37, David Z Maze wrote:
> > > But compiling the C library, which really every program on your system
> > > depends upon at least indirectly, is hairy, if you screw it up your
> > > system will be unusable, and convincing programs to use a random
> > > installation of it can be tricky.  Why do you think you want to do
> > > this?  Do you think it will be easier than upgrading to Debian testing
> > > or unstable, with the associated pitfalls?
> >
> > How hazardous or full of dependancies would this be:
> >   # CC=gcc-3.2
> >   # CFLAGS='-Wall -O2 -march=athlon'
> >   # apt-get --compile source libc6='2.3.1-16'
> >   # dpkg -i <.....>
>
> Still a considerable pain. Consider why libdb1-compat exists, just as
> one example ...
>
> David's right. Why not just upgrade the whole distribution? At least
> then you'd be running a combination of software that other people have
> tested to at least some extent, rather than being a guinea-pig all by
> yourself.
>
> Furthermore, the reason why most people want to upgrade libc6 is to
> install packages that depend on newer versions of it. In that case,
> building a newer glibc from source is exactly the wrong answer; you
> should build the packages in question from source instead.

I think you're confusing my post with the original, since I'm currently
in a mixed sarge/sid environment with sarge's libc6 2.3.1-16.

My goal is to compile the sarge source using "apt-get --compile source".

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |