Re: upgrading glibc on Debian ?

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 15:37, David Z Maze wrote:
> Hamid <mylists@spils.com> writes:
[snip]
> But compiling the C library, which really every program on your system
> depends upon at least indirectly, is hairy, if you screw it up your
> system will be unusable, and convincing programs to use a random
> installation of it can be tricky.  Why do you think you want to do
> this?  Do you think it will be easier than upgrading to Debian testing
> or unstable, with the associated pitfalls?

How hazardous or full of dependancies would this be:
  # CC=gcc-3.2
  # CFLAGS='-Wall -O2 -march=athlon'
  # apt-get --compile source libc6='2.3.1-16'
  # dpkg -i <.....>

(No, I don't need to read why CPU-specific packages are a waste of
resources.)

Thanks,
Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |