Re: Alsa and Realplayer

amnesiac@koti.luukku.com wrote:

Hello

I installed debian recently and used some instructions from www.linuxorbit.com to get my sound card
working. All seemed fine. I downloaded kscd and am pleased to report that it works without problems.

Problem 1:
Downloaded realplayer so that I could listen to the radio over the internet but
When I start it I get the message:

  Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it.

The same happens if I try starting it as root, so I assume that it is not a problem
with file permissions.

Problem 2:
Installed and tried to use kmix but all I get is a blank box. The menu is
displayed but nothing else.

Problem 3:
When I try 2 use alsamixer I get the following error message:
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

I read somewhere that I would need to go the directory that contains the alsa modules
and execute the ocmmand ./snddvices (/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/examples/snddevices).
I did that but still no joy.

Problem 4:
I installed gamix and tried to use it but just keep getting the message:

 probe.c 40: No ALSA device.
 main.c 36: Can not make mixer.

I assume that this problem is related to the previous, but I don't know.

I would really appreciate some help. And I apologise in advance if I have not
provided enough info. Just let me know what I should send and I will do so.

I'm no expert on sound, by any means. I suspect that kscd is simply controlling the CD-ROM drive, and the CD is simply playing the sound via the audio cable plugged into the sound card, and isn't being controlled at all by Debian. I further suspect that your sound card is not properly configured.

I would suggest looking at the boot-up messages for references to your sound card (or "dmesg" if the last reboot was fairly recent) for any clues. I would also suggest eliminating KDE/X for the time being, and just try to get sound working at the command line (exit X, kill any X-related process, such as kdm, etc, and use a tool like splay to get sound working). Once sound is working at the command line, you can worry about getting it to work properly in X/KDE.

--
Kent