Re: 2 quick questions

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:07:14AM -0700, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> Thanks to Ron (can remember your last name), in helping me get this far.
>
> I'm using sarge right now, in my sources.list, and I'm trying to get
> mplayer.
>
> When I run "apt-get install mplayer", I get "package not found". Yet I
> can go to apt-get.org and it's there.
>
> How do I go about getting it, to install?

After trying to use pre-built debs of Mplayer with mixed results, as
recommended at the mplayer site, I just built it from source (actually I
built a deb from source).  It turned out to be very easy, and it now works
great.

Just download the source and follow the instructions.  What took the most
time was reading about drivers (the install doc says to read that first).
It allowed me to best use my display, a Matrox G550.

Again, the Mplayer source package has the files needed to create a .deb, so
building the deb was basically one command.  Then dpkg -i to install.

> My second question, for a friend with a laptop, seriously considering
> moving from xp to debain, will mplayer play DVD's? If not, what
> application(s) should I look for?

It plays dvds great.  But I suspect you might need to review what kind of
hardware is on the laptop.  Try it.

By the way...

Since these 2 questions were about Mplayer you might want to use a bit more
descriptive subject line.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org