Re: Debian packagename equivalents.

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:48:58AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Yes, but how about this problem: how does one get aptitude's name?
>
> I'm doing a cross installation of debian, and need to install ssh. I'm
> told that it depends on zlib1g > 1:1.1.4. Problem is that zlib1g is
> either a) obsolete and unavailable, or b) zlib1g's heightest version is
> 1.1.4 and no higher version is available.
>
> So your suggestion of aptitude seemed an answer. However, when I run
> apt-get install aptitude, the package is not found.

Are you running some weird ancient version of Debian or something?
aptitude has been there since at least potato (the package is just
called "aptitude", by the way). zlib1g has never been at version 1.1.4
to my knowledge, although some frontends might display "1:1.1.4-1" as
just "1.1.4-1".

It sounds like you might be installing from some incomplete media to me.

Cheers,