Re: xcdroast problem: I can't resolve the tracks

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 05:34:50AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003 02:16, Rob Sims wrote:
> >
> > Check your sub-code:
> > Does the audio player show the correct track numbers, assuming you just let
> > it play through?  Displayed track numbers come from the Q subcode embedded
> > with the music.  If you always see 1, all tracks were coded that way, and
> > will confuse the audio players which use the subcode to verify where they
> > are.
> >
> > If you can actually select other tracks on the computer or audio players,
> > this means the Table of Contents contains multiple tracks, and this is
> > really a bad disc.  DAO mode is very powerful, but lets you do
> > self-inconsistent things.  If the Table of Contents shows only one track,
> > you have somehow combined all of your audio into one track before burning,
> > but produced a proper disc.
> >
> > Players can tolerate zero second pre-gaps (the "space" between tracks) and
> > usually even audio within the pre-gap.
>
> I had a similar problem. It is supposedly a problem that exists in the
> player, ie some players live happily with cdrs and some do not.
>
> I overcame it by recording in TAO mult-track mode.
>
> >From man cdrecord.
>
> cdda2wav -v255 -D2,0 -B -Owav
> cdrecord -v dev=2,0 -dao -useinfo  *.wav
>
> that is how I created the same problem, instead IIRC do this
>
> cdda2wav -v63 -D2,0 -B -Owav	# stop it complaining about -v255
> rm *.inf				# not using info so lose it
> cdrecord -v dev=2,0 -tao *.wav	# leaves 2 sec between tracks
>
> where the parameters give the D and dev= above are what you get from:
> cdrecord -scanbus.

In addition, I've read that audio CDs often work better in standalone
players when burnt at slower speeds, like 2x or so.  Even the brand of
CD-R you use can make a difference.  Unfortunately, the only real way to
find out is a bit of experimentation.

- Chris