Re: xcdroast problem: I can't resolve the tracks

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:55:09AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hello
>
> After burned my CD with musics using xcdroast, I faced with the
> following problem: I can listen the CD in any computer, but the sound
> player machine at home doesn't resolve the tracks! The player can play
> the entire CD, but if you want to play a given track, the player
> doesn't find it, it keeps finding for ever... May be the tracks are too
> close one to another, that the machine cannot resolve them. Is
> it possible? The CD was burned in DAO mode
> Thanks in advance for the help!

The track spacing is fixed: the blank CD is manufactured with tracks
at a certain spacing, and the CD writer cannot change this. The
spacing is a standard, and is the same for all CDs, whether
factory-pressed, CD-R or CD-RW.

(Note: 99-minute CD-Rs use a tighter track spacing than the standard.
This not only means that audio CD players can't play them, some
computer CD-ROM drives don't like them either. You're not using
99-minute CD-Rs, are you?)

Unfortunately the optical properties of a CD-R are not identical with
those of an ordinary, factory-pressed, "silver" CD. Some audio CD
players appear to use optical blocks of ancient design which cannot
read CD-Rs. (Perhaps this is done deliberately to stop people copying
music?) There is considerable variation both in audio CD players and
in CD-R blanks, so it is not possible to say anything more generally
helpful than: usually it works, sometimes it doesn't, experiment with
different brands of CD-R and different audio CD players.

The optical properties of CD-RWs are different again, and it is very
hard to find an audio CD player that can read CD-RWs.

cdrecord handily tells you who really made the CD-R you're using...
recently I have burned Infiniti, Dysan, Philips and some unbranded
CD-Rs. cdrecord tells me they were ALL made by Ritek Corp. The general
view seems to be that Ritek are crap, but unfortunately you can't find
out whether they made a certain blank except by buying it first...
Having said that, I personally have had no problems with them.

cdrecord also tells you what dye system the CD-R uses, which is useful
information when you're experimenting.

Have a search on Google for sites with detailed instructions on
copying Playstation games - Playstations, quite apart from their
copy-protection measures, are members of the set of CD drives with
crappy optics, so some of these sites have useful recommendations of
good varieties of CD-R.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons