Newbie trying to upgrade kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.20

Hi

I installed debian woody but it had kenrel-2.2.20.
I downloaded the new kernel source tar ball and followed the instructions from http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_Kernels/20_Steps_to_a_New_Kernel_with_Grub.html
(I installed GRUB before doing this)
When I choose the new kernel at boot loader screen, it gives me "kernel panic" and the last meaningful line to me is:
usb.c

When I use "make dep | grep Error" it complains about some stuff such as:
au1000_gpio.c:41: asm/hardware.h: No such file or directory
and similar messages which almost all of them involve some header files.

What should I do now ? Is it a bad kernel module selection or I am missing a step here ?

Thanks in advance
Hamid