Re: Newbie trying to upgrade kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.20

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 06:59:23AM -0400, Hamid wrote:
> Hi
>
> I installed debian woody but it had kenrel-2.2.20.

Well, it includes 2.4.18, too.  Reading the install guide is a very good
idea :)

> I downloaded the new kernel source tar ball and followed the
> instructions from
> http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_Kernels/20_Steps_to_a_New_Kernel_with_Grub.html
> (I installed GRUB before doing this)
> When I choose the new kernel at boot loader screen, it gives me "kernel
> panic" and the last meaningful line to me is:
> usb.c

We'd need to know what the actual panic message was.

> When I use "make dep | grep Error" it complains about some stuff such as:
> au1000_gpio.c:41: asm/hardware.h: No such file or directory
> and similar messages which almost all of them involve some header files.

That's not good.  Did the kernel at least build, though?

> What should I do now ? Is it a bad kernel module selection

Well, there ideally shouldn't be any such thing.

> or I am
> missing a step here ?

You'd have to give us a list of the steps you went through before we
could answer that.

Also, are you aware of the prebuilt kernel images in Debian?  'apt-cache
search kernel-image' will show them to you, and installation is as easy
as 'apt-get install kernel-image-blah' and following the instructions
CAREFULLY.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?