Re: Libranet to sooth the savage Debian beast???

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 22:44, ZephyrQ wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 00:13, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 23:03, ZephyrQ wrote:
> > > 	I just read a review of the latest Libranet--and after playing with
> > > Debian for about 6 months, I'm half tempted to 'add-on' this
> > > distribution.
> > >
> > > 	My question, can I upgrade to the latest Libranet over my existing
> > > Woody (3.0 with a little bit of testing thrown in...) with out seriously
> > > hosing my system?
> > >
> > > 	I originally switched to Deb from SuSE, and I hate to admit it, but I
> > > just don't have the time to peruse online documentation trying to fix
> > > small problems.  Don't get me wrong--I like Debian a *lot* better than
> > > SuSE (things work together better), but I'm tired of taking the better
> > > part of a weekend trying to fix problems or configure my system to do
> > > things that, darn it, I would like it to do (like burn CDs...play DVDs,
> > > etc.).
> > >
> > > 	Will an upgrade with Libranet over my existing system be a Bad Idea, or
> > > can I pull this off without a lot of hassle?
> >
> > As long as /home is on a separate partition, installing shouldn't be
> > a problem.  It also does very well at h/w detection, as long as you
> > don't have a winmodem.
> >
> 	Thanx for the insight.  I didn't figure I would stir up all the
> political stuff--sorry folks.
>
> 	I might go ahead and get Libranet (I might need to try discover, etc.
> first?  But why?  Will it go ahead and detect my CD burner so I don't
> have to tweak a kernel?) if for no other reason to get KDE 3 and Gnome

It's supposed to!!!

> 2.  I realize that both of these are in testing, but I have a *slow*
> line and am afraid of dependency hell if I let apt-get get them
> (breaking my current Evolution, etc...).
>
> 	</neo-political weigh-in>
>
> 	I **like** the concept behind Debian--and wouldn't mind waiting a
> little while for Sarge to make it to stable, but only a --little
> while--...and that could be 2 months or 2 years.  I am starting to run
> into programs that require Gnome2 libs and am afraid of hosing my little
> world...er...desktop for lib x y z.
>
> 	</neo-political flaptrap off>
>
> 	Anyone ever install Libranet over a running Woody system?

Yes, though it's kinda irrelevant, since the idea was to wipe out the
existing "stuff".

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |