Re: Optimizing for DVD Playback

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 19:01 -0400, Tim Shelley wrote:
> Im trying to get my system to perform better during DVD playback because
> im only getting about 13-15fps standard. I was wondering if anyone would
> know of some good optimization tricks.  Right now im using Ogle player
> (Mplayer takes up too many resources) with the encrypted DVD libs,
> binary nvida drivers, and ALSA 0.9 (libcss etc) on Unstable with kernel
> 2.4.20-1-k7.  My system is an 850 Duron (I think this is my main
> problem) with 384mb of RAM and a Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM drive.  Are they're
> any other dvd libs i could try or an experimental MPEG2 decoder (closed
> source or not), anythting that may get performance up to 24-30fps?

Hi, have you enabled DMA for your dvd drive?
hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

I think your cpu should be fast enough to playback.  I've seen good dvd
playback on a PII350 + Matrox G200. Using mplayer, there were very few
frames dropped with widescreen dvds.  I think it depends somewhat on
your video card and its drivers as well as cpu speed.  Have you
considered trying mplayer & xine as well?

Michael