Re: Laptop, DHCP & Co

(Sorry if this message doesn't thread properly.
I'm not subscribed to debian-user.)

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 20:52, stan wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:54:31PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > The latest news about ifupdown-roaming is that the features of
> > ifscout are in the process of being integrated into guessnet,
> > including the most important convenience feature: that of using
> > /etc/network/interfaces as its configuration file.  As of
> > release 0.18 (in unstable), guessnet is buggy and is still missing
> > some of ifscout's features, but before long it should be able
> > to supersede ifscout.  In the process, the "physical interface
> > group" feature and the "search sequence" feature are being
> > abandoned.  If either of these is important to you, let me know,
> > and let me know why; if necessary they can be reimplemented in
> > guessnet.  When guessnet is a bit more stable I'll report again
> > to this list.
>
> First, let me say that I jave not liiked at this package. Having said that,
> I am in the process of seting up a Debian laptop that will need to
> participate in a total of )at least) 7 networks. For me, being able to
> control the order that these are checked in would be a _very nice- feature.
> I'm presently using a perl script that does _not- have this capability, and
> it means thta one some networks it takes _a long_ time to coem up. I would
> prefer that this was not the case on my home, or promary work networks.

guessnet scans all profiles in parallel.

I would be interested to know if there is any need
to divide the scanned profiles up into groups which would
be tried successively (but the profiles in each group
still scanned in parallel).

> Also, will this package be able to deal with things like reconfiguring
> galeons' proxy, seting passive ftp or not, and falling back to dhcp, when
> all else fails?

Since guessnet integrates with ifupdown, you can write a
/etc/network/interfaces that does all of that.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>