Re: []OT] Drawing a rectangle with Gimp

Sharninder Singh-662 wrote:

hey .. this sounds neat .. but this would give me a filled rectangle .. rite
? i want a non-filled one.

Sort of, steps 1 & 2 do a filled rectangle of 1 colour, steps 3 & 4 remove the centre of the filled rectangle (including whatever else is drawn in that area, of that layer), leaving only a border of the width specified at step 3. The inside will be left the background colour - which could be a particular colour or transparent. If you want to avoid deleting other things already drawn inside the area of the rectangle, you will need to do this in a separate layer, or a separate canvas and cut and paste it.

Barney

Unfortunately no. I think I learned the following from "grokking the
gimp" but I'm not certain.

1. select a rectangular (or other shaped) area.
2. fill with a colour.
3. shrink selection area by required number of pixels. (right click->
selection-> shrink)
4. cut/delete selection.

This obviously can be used for a selection of any shape.

HTH,
Barney