setting up printer server using lprng/apsfilter/gs

Hi all..  I'm trying to set up a printer server to share a canon BJ200 with a linux and a Windows 2000 PC.
Samba is installed and working on the server.
The server (and the linux PC) is running Debian 3.0 r1.

On the server, I have installed LPRng, gs, apsfilter, a2ps.

I ran apsfilterconfig on the server and sucessfully set up the printer. The test pages printed beautifully.

I created /etc/hosts.lpd on the server and added the machine names of both the Linux and the Windows PC
using only the name (not the IP), one name per line.

I edited /etc/hosts on the server and added the IP, domain, and machine name for both the Linux and Windows PC.

On the Windows 2000 PC, It sees the printer and adds the drivers. When I look at the printer in the
Printer Settings, under Status it says "Access denied, unable to connect".
Hoping this was a false message, I printed a document. From the windows side, it looked like it was sent just fine.
Then I heard what sounded like the hard drive spooling... but nothing was printed.

On the Linux PC, I installed LPRng.

I created /etc/hosts.lpd on the Linux PC and added the machine name of the server.

I edited /etc/hosts and added the IP, domain, and machine name for the server.

Then I edited /etc/ptintcap and added the remote printer.

I tried testing from the Linux PC  using lpr /etc/motd, both as root and as a user, but nothing gets printed.
I do hear the hard drive spooling the job.

I pinged my machines to make sure the network connection was alive, and it is.

I did not edit /etc/lprng/lpd.conf.

here's my /etc/printcap from the server:

======== begin server printcap =======
lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pc#150:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

# rlp|Remote printer entry:\
#         :lp=:\
#         :rm=remotehost:\
#         :rp=remoteprinter:\
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
#         :mx#0:\
#         :sh:
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
BJ200|bj200;r=360x360;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/BJ200:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/BJ200/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/BJ200/acct:\
    :mx#0:\