OT: unable to open port 25 on remote servers

Hi all,

I realise this is OT but the mailserver I'm running is built on woody,
and this list has been very helpful in the past so...

I am running a postfix mailserver on debian woody.

I am also running several other woody machines on the same network.

I am getting complaints from users that outgoing emails to several
domains are bouncing with "unable to connect".

For each primary MX in each of the recipients' domains that have a
problem, I try telnet to port 25.

This is where it gets really weird:  it works from some of the woody
machines on the network, and not from others. The machines are all on
the same physical network, and in the same /24 IP subnet.

On the machines where it doesn't work, nothing is returned.  netstat -n
shows SYN_SENT, and that is as far as the connection goes.

All machines run woody.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

--
Best regards,