periodic mouse problems running woody on a compaq presario laptop

Hi,

I am not a subscriber to this list.

I am trying to find a solution to a periodic problem
with my mouse that I am having while running the
Woody version of GNU/Linux on my laptop.

I've got a PS/2 compatible synaptics touchpad.

Usually, after 1-5 hours of usage, my mouse pointer
will visually display on the X screen with
approximately a 50 pixel offset to the right of
the GUI's interpretation of the mouse position.

So, the mouse pointer will not display to the far left
of the screen, even though X appears to perceive that
it has hit the left edge (the mouse display won't get
into the leftmost 50 or so pixels of the X display).
Mouse functionality seems OK, except for the off-set
of the displayed mouse position from the position X
programs interpret the mouse to be at.

The problem goes away after shutdown.

Regards,
Heng Look

P.S. I'm new to this, so any advice on how to make
questions effective in this forum would be
appreciated.