Apache, libmm und PHP4: PHP Fatal error: Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0

Hello!

We have a System Debian stable/testing/unstable that we use for development and education. Each user on this machine can start his own Apache with PHP4, his own MySQl and Tomcat.

Versions:
Apache 1.3.27.0-1
PHP4   4.2.3-14
libmm  1.3.0-1

To get this System running I had to build libmm from source package with '--with-sem=IPCSEM' so that each user could use PHP4. Otherwise I run into problems with the permissons of the files session_mm_apache0.mem and session_mm_apache0.sem in /tmp. This was the way I did this so far. I'm open to a better solution.

Problem:
Since the last update of the machine I get this message during startup of apache when called from a non-root user:

PHP Fatal error:  Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0

This message is similar to the errors I got before I started to build my own libmm. It seems that there is a general problem with libmm or PHP4 at the moment, because rebuilding with '--with-sem=IPCSEM' doesn't help anymore.

Which options do I have when I want to run multiple apaches with PHP4 on one machine?

Berthold Cogel