Re: Why are so many packages "held back?"

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 11:39:37PM -0400, Neal Lippman wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 21:50, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> > On 11/05/03 Neal Lippman did speaketh:
> >
> > > I'm wondering why so many packages get held back. I run testing, and
> > > when I do an apt-get upgrade, about 10-15 packages are being held back.
> > > I would have assumed that all packages in testing were "up to date" for
> > > the testing release, so why do things get held back?
> >
> >     They probably require new packages to be installed. Remember that
> > upgrade never installs anything new. It only upgrades existing packages.
> > If you want to clear most of those away, use dist-upgrade, which will
> > install new packages.
> >
> 	Is there a way to determine if that is the case?

'apt-get -s dist-upgrade', I guess.  -s == simulate.

> 	Also, what happens if
> I am already running testing and do a dist-upgrade? Does that just grab
> new packages that are needed for currently installed packages?

Well, since testing is updated on a daily basis, it'll do more than that
in practice.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?