Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 10:28:09PM -0500, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> I used to use a font server on a purely local system, and it wasn't
> because I needed TrueType support. It was because XFree86 3.x would
> sometimes block while scaling fonts. It was pretty annoying to have the
> X server completely hang for a few seconds just because I picked the
> wrong font from a list. Using a font server instead was the solution,
> xfs would scale the fonts instead.
>
> I don't know if 4.x still has that problem, I certainly hope it's been
> fixed by now. But even if it has it's quite possible that some people
> still use it because that's what they did before.

Ah, another good point.  Have you tried without the font server to see
if this still happens?  I can't say I've ever noticed it with XFree86 4
(though I didn't see it with 3, either...).

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?