mySQL logon Question

Hello:

I have installed the mySQL package for Debian and it all works fine. However when I am logged on as any user (including root) and at the shell prompt and I type in “mysql”. It automatically goes into the “mysql> “ prompt, meaning that it doesn’t ask me for a password. It is as though it recognizes the user that is logged in to the system and uses that account to work with in mySQL. Is this normal for the installation? I mean should it not be prompting me for a password first although I am already logged on to Debian?

I ask this because I used to work with mysql on OpenBSD and although I realize that BSD and Debian are different I thought that the mysql package would still act somewhat the same in that aspect of asking you for the password as to the account you want to log in as.

I do get prompted for the password when I type: “mysql –u username –p”

However shouldn’t I just get prompted for the password whenever I just type “mysql” alone? Or at least not get logged in automatically.

Thanx for your help in advance.