Difference between command line- and menu-started programs?

Hi,

konqueror behaves differently depending on whether I start it
from the command line or from the task bar. When I start from the task
bar, it has the history/bookmark window on the left-hand-side of
the browser, and when I start from the command, that is missing
and I cannot figure out how to turn it on.

It seems to me that this indicates that there is some fundamental
difference in KDE between starting a program from a menu vs. using
the command line interface. Is this true? Does, e.g., the konqueror
session remember it's setting in different places if it's started
at the CLI vs. the menu?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, zender at uci dot edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of
Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100