Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 11:58:41AM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:27, John Hasler wrote:
> > Rob Weir writes:
> > > Why is this?  XFree86 has been able to handle TrueType fonts (along with
> > > Type1, bitmap, etc) directly since version 4, so what's up?
> >
> > Many of us find fonts insanely complex and completely incomprehensible.  We
> > just bang away at it until something works and then stop.
>
> I would expand on that with the observation that I do own conventional
> licenses of some fonts that permit me to install them on *one* computer.

Well, that would put you in the atypical 1% I mentioned in my original
email :)

> I have let the font server here be accessed by certain clients wishing
> to view and print documents I have sent them that use those fonts (I
> know, that is using a bazooka to hit a gnat,) As I develop a home
> network, I would rather have my fonts on one machine and serve them out
> on the lan, rather than worrying about having everything everywhere -
> and I have most everything on this box - Cyrillic, Arabic, Kanji...

Hah, fair enough.  This is not what most people are doing, though.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?