Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:27, John Hasler wrote:
> Rob Weir writes:
> > Why is this?  XFree86 has been able to handle TrueType fonts (along with
> > Type1, bitmap, etc) directly since version 4, so what's up?
>
> Many of us find fonts insanely complex and completely incomprehensible.  We
> just bang away at it until something works and then stop.
> --
> John Hasler
> john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI

I would expand on that with the observation that I do own conventional
licenses of some fonts that permit me to install them on *one* computer.
I have let the font server here be accessed by certain clients wishing
to view and print documents I have sent them that use those fonts (I
know, that is using a bazooka to hit a gnat,) As I develop a home
network, I would rather have my fonts on one machine and serve them out
on the lan, rather than worrying about having everything everywhere -
and I have most everything on this box - Cyrillic, Arabic, Kanji...

Anybody know of a good Sanskrit font? ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org