Printer config with CUPS woes

Hi all,

i haf been trying for ages to get my Xerox Phaser 3110 b/w laser (a GDI printer btw) to print something, but no luck. I am running Debian testing/unstable.

i installed cupsys, cupsys-client, cupsomatic, and KDE3.1.1 on 2.4.18 bf2.4 kernel When i was in Mandrake 9.1 i got it working with the driver for Lexmark E210 (they are basically clones of each other), so it should work here in Debian. So at linuxprinting.org, i got the .PPD file for it, cp to /etc/share/cups/model and chmod 444 it

Some problems:

1) CUPS web interface doesnt work ( http://localhost:631 )
i have (none) as hostname. i wonder if this is the problem...
my /etc/hosts file was missing, so i created it, and put a line 127.0.0.1 localhost

2) "Unable to retrieve printer list...Connection to CUPS server failed....Error:Connection refused." This was when i ran Print Manager in KDE with root access! ps -A showed cupsd running perfectly too! It was loaded alright so why am i getting this err msg...(note: cupsys is from unstable branch)

i also tried lpadmin command to try to link to the .PPD file as root. well nothing fruitful

fyi, sending some characters to /usblp0/lp0 did make the printer react, but since its a GDI printer, it can't print acsii directly, but it did make some noise. So we know USB actually recognises this printer.

Anyone have any ideas?