gstreamer/rhythmbox high cpu usage

Hi,

I have Rhythmbox installed on my system (a great app by the way - thanks
guys!). The problem is its high cpu usage and jerky playback.

CPU usage is constantly at 12% whilst xmms' cpu usage whilst playing the
same song is < 1%. Also, when bringing other windows to focus, the sound
skips and stutters (This is on an 300MHz p2 btw). So I did an apt-get
install gst-player. gst-player suffers from the skipping and high cpu
usage too. So it's not a problem with rhythmbox.

I checked out the gstreamer lists and bug reports - no mention of this.
I did a gst-inspect osssink and twiddled with the gstreamer settings
(buffer size, specifically) in gconf - still occurs. I'm not using esd
or arts or anything fancy like that.

I can't see why gstreamer is playing up. Anyone got an idea?

Thanks, Gee.
--
Gee Law, gee(at)cromulent(dot)org(dot)uk
GPG encrypted/signed mail welcome