Re: procmail

David Fokkema wrote:
On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 07:50:28AM +0200, Yuhanes Tjandra wrote:

Russell Shaw wrote:

Yuhanes Tjandra wrote:

Russell Shaw wrote:

Hi,
I got fetchmail and exim running with a pop3 dialup isp, and
mail goes into /var/spool/mail/russell. However, procmail doesn't
seem to do anything with it. Is exim meant to start procmail?
This is in /etc/exim/exim.conf:

# This transport is used for procmail

procmail_pipe:
driver = pipe
command = "/usr/bin/procmail"
return_path_add
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
# check_string = "From "
# escape_string = ">From "
suffix = ""

I think so. You must have two file, .forward and .procmailrc in your home directory to activate that.

Take a look at /usr/share/doc/procmail/QuickStart as well as the examples in the Examples folder.

Hi,
I read that. I have in ~/.forward: |/usr/bin/procmail
and in ~/.procmailrc:

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail              # you'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox           # Things that don't match end up here
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log   # recommended
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

:0 Whc: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache   #prevent duplicate messages

:0 a:
duplicates         #but store them instead of deleting them

--------------------------------

~/Mail/procmail.log
and
~/Mail/mbox
don't appear.

I have the similar configurations as yours except the .procmailrc.
I can't comment on your .procmailrc since I haven't used the rules before. You can try to comment them out though.

Excuse me for posting in on this thread so late, I haven't quite been
following it...

Have you checked your exim logs? I have no .forward, only a .procmailrc
and exim starts procmail automatically since the moment I installed the
procmail deb. I have things like this in my /var/log/exim/mainlog:

2003-05-09 08:09:45 19E14j-0002XH-00 <= bounce-debian-user=dfokkema=ileos.nl@lists.debian.org H=localhost [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=4529 id=NnsIeC.A.J1B.dU0u-@murphy
2003-05-09 08:09:45 19E14j-0002XH-00 => dfokkema <dfokkema@localhost> D=procmail T=procmail_pipe
2003-05-09 08:09:45 19E14j-0002XH-00 Completed

As you can see, when delivery for dfokkema is started, it is piped
through procmail. If you _don't_ have things like that in your exim
logs...

Just tried to omit .forward in my home directory, and it works.
Having .forward to execute procmail is working as well, it's just a redundancy though.

My wildly guess is that the exim configuration wasn't done in that way previously, so that .forward was required.

Anyway, thank you for bringing that up.

Yuhanes