Re: disk partition problems

Further added : cfdisk and sfdisk failed as well ... unable to reread partition after all was said and done, rebooted and mkfs tried ... do I need to reboot my brain as well? Surely another "doh" moment ....

Brian

Brian Walker wrote:
Greetings All,

I am having a problem in structuring /dev/hda1.

The history:
Moved from Mandrake to Debian, wiping the disk and doing a complete
install. Created /dev/hda1 for /windows (using the original Sony Vaio
Windows 98 configuration CD) ... I had partitioned:

/dev/hda1
/windows
/dev/hda5
/
/dev/hda6
/swap

/dev/hda7
/lfs ( for playing around with Linux From Scratch)

On occasions I had recourse to boot into windows, but generally used
that sad space for two programs I like to use - EPI-Info epidemiology
software, and BusinessPlan Pro.

Without any event that I can recall, when I tried to boot into windows,
I failed - unable to remember the error message (it was some weeks ago
...) but it seemed to have been a referral to a lacking command.exe or
similar necessary file. Within /windows I could see all the files. I
copied the missing file into the windows system - unable to reboot.
Tried all the permutations - no joy.

Decided to reload all the program files by using the system disks that
came with the computer. I got no joy either - the system reconfigure was
halted with an error call, and I ended up in >A: with no message, no log
and no information as to why this happened.

Tried as a last resort, by deleting all the data using the DOS fdisk
command prior to reloading all the system software. Data was wiped OK,
but still exited to >A: and no clues why.

df shows no /dev/hda1
Error message in dmesg and when mounting /dev/hda1 says:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1
       or too many mounted filesystems

parted refuses to delete the partition so I can make another one,claiming:

Warning: Device dev/hda1 is neither a SCSI nor an IDE drive
         Ignore Cancel?

fdisk fails to delete, saying I had not defined the partition.

Any ideas on what went wrong? What can I do to re-partition the device?

Many thanks,

Brian

--
Brian F. Walker