Re: samba + cups problem

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:15:01PM +0200, josep wrote:
> I have a printer installed on my debian, using cups and exporting it
> with samba. A local user can't print through lpr but a win client can't
> do it. win clients just see the printer share but can't print.
>
> Somebody knows exactly the step-by-step installation and the smb.conf
> and cupsd.conf I should have?

Hi,

There are an awfully lot of "can't"'s in your mail, but I'll assume that
a local user _can_ print but a win client _can't_, :-)

In your cupsd.conf:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.2.0/24
</Location>

Of course, in this case the important one is the one with
192.168.2.0/24, which you should change to your network. BUT: I don't
know if this is really necessary for win support. It is possible that
samba will access cups locally and you won't need this line in that
case. You _do_ need it if you want other un*x clients on your network to
print using cups. IMHO, cups is _very_ neat.
So, if your printer finally works, try removing this line and see if it
still works (I can't run off to a winbox at the moment to try if this
really matters...)

In smbd.conf:

[global]

printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /tmp
printable = yes
public = no
writable = no
create mode = 0700

This will tell samba to use cups printing and will define a spool
directory for your printer.

REMEMBER: if security is user, the winbox has to authenticate itself and
this process can screw up cups printing. Furthermore, windows needs
printer drivers.

You may know this already and your conf files may be correct. In that
case, supply us with some error messages and try this:
	- double-click on the printer. If windows complains that it
	  needs a printer driver and is going to install it, follow the
	  steps...
	- export a folder share with samba and try to write it (this
	  requires to solve quite some problems)

HTH,

David