Re: change the naming of eth0 and eth1

On Thu, 8 May 2003 14:05:53 -0400
Syd Alsobrook <alsobrsp@onsyd.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 08 May 2003 08:50, Thomas Gebhardt wrote:
> > As far as I can see, there is also no possibilty to modify
> > interrupt numbers and IO-adresses of the NICs in the BIOS setup.
>
> You can do this by specifying the irq and IO on the boot command line. I
> have had to do this many times in the past on firewalls and such. Here is
> an example from my firewall "ether=10,0x7000,eth0" which is
> ether=irq,base_io_addr,dev_name. I have this in my lilo.conf.

IMO a better place to do this is in /etc/modutils.

Note the settings you need to specify, then run modconf and remove your NIC
module.

Insert the module and when modconf asks for any options to pass to the
module, specify the IRQ and IO you need to use. Get the syntax from the
appropriate file in the kernel source directory Documentation/networking,
the kernel source for the module, or here:

http://www.scyld.com/network/

When you've successfully loaded the module, exit modconf and run
"update-modules" to write the necessary information to /etc/modutils.

This way the options are applied whenever you load the module; I suspect the
way you're doing now the options are only applied if you load the module
during startup.

Kevin