Re: apt-get xfree86-xserver versions 'stable'

"cmustard@nyc.rr.com" <cmustard@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> I recently installed some Xservers:
> x-windows-base
> xfree86-xserver
> xserver-vga16
> xserver-svga
> along with whatever dependancies were required first

So Debian has the X servers from both XFree86 4.x (xserver-xfree86)
and the servers from XFree86 3.3.6 (other xserver-*).  You probably
only need the older server packages if your hardware isn't supported
by the newer XF86; you almost certainly don't need both.

> Display: Chips and Tech. 65555 PCI (Toshiba)

Poking around on xfree86.org suggests that this was supported in at
least XFree86 4.1.0 and later versions, with the "chips" driver.  My
suggestion just in terms of getting support would be to abandon the
3.3.6 X servers and try to make xserver-xfree86 work.  (That is,
uninstall xserver-svga and xserver-vga16.)

> Xfree86 keeps dying, (fatal errors) after checking the
> xfree86 error log it appears
> that the necessary 'GLX' mod is the wrong version.
>
> When i 'apt-get install xfree86-xserver' i (seem) to get
> version 4.2.1 (it's deffinetly 4.something).
> But it seems the GLX module is for the xfree86 3.X.X.
> 'apt-get install utah-glx' package. I can't seem to find the
> one for xfree86 4.X.X

The two versions of XFree86 use different bits of kernel support to
get accelerated 3-D rendering.  For just getting things working, you
might not care, and there's probably a switch somewhere in
XF86Config-4 to turn off direct rendering.  utah-glx is only used for
the 3.x series; you need "direct rendering" support enabled in your
kernel, but it's likely already enabled if it's a standard kernel.

> I run 'stable' 2.4.18

Nitpick: Debian stable's version is 3.0 (and its name is "woody" if
you ever need to know that); 2.4.18 is probably a Linux kernel
version.

> I heard that you used to have to get the xfree86 packages from a
> different location in debian (~branden, i think,...) but i thought
> that was a while ago and no longer relevent.

That was, in fact, a while ago and no longer relevant.  Branden's Web
page does have information on upcoming XFree86 releases for Debian,
but they mostly pertain to the unstable branch.

	-- Abra Mitchell