Re: xf86config

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:22:11PM -0400, ivan valdes wrote:
> i have installed woody, i think, however i cannot get a gui for either
> kde or gnome. i go through the config but when i try to startx it fails.
> i have good info on the monitor and video card, though my card is not in
> the data base, sis630. i understand that the server i  should use is the
>  xxfb, does the server install with the packages i installed? i
> installed kde and gonme but apparently that was not enough.

AARGH I have done this recently but alas can't remember how... it
*might* be as simple as ensuring that your XF86Config[-4] contains
Driver "sis" instead of Driver "vga". OTOH you may have to downgrade
your X installation to 3.3.2 (from slink) which apparently has better
support for this chipset. Have a look at

  http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml
  http://www.winischhofer.net/sisdri.shtml

> i have 7 cds, but my kernel is idepci on disc 4, when scanning the discs
> do i use 4-7, 2,3,& 5 are other flavors of the kernel or do i run all 7?
> thats what i did. your input is badly needed i'm stuck without a gui
> being a relative newbie to linux. thanks in advance.

You scan all 7.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons